Blog # 4

For this blog I watched the video titled "Women and the World of Work". I actually took a class last semester where we learned a lot about gender inequalities, so I was not all that surprised at the fact that still today women earn 23% less than men do. While I am not surprised (because I have done research on this topic in the past) it still bothers me and upsets me at the fact that women are still not being treated equally. It is crazy that we have come so far within the last decade and yet we are still lagging on the the pay gap for women. One thing that really caught my attention is when they mentioned that they have actually found that businesses that have women leaders are actually more successful. This actually really surprised me and it seems like it's something that we should really be using to get our point across that women can be leaders and they can be successful at their jobs. To me, it seems like society still has this way of thinking that women can't do a job better than a man can; this is something that has to change! Gender shouldn't tell whether we will be good at our position or not. Another thing that I found interesting is when they mentioned about the percentage of women in the workforce compare to 20 years ago and how mothers who have more responsibilities at home have a decreased chance of having a good job. I think there's a pretty high number of women today who choose to stay at home to raise their children, while the husband is the bread winner. It is not that there are not jobs out there for them, it is simply that it is not a necessity for them to be at work. As a mother, it is definitely hard to find the balance between work and home life. Daycare's are expensive, and any job that requires too much of your time isn't ideal as you still have to go home and take care of your family. I think it is definitely easier for men to take on those management and higher up jobs as they don't necessarily need to go home and do all the duties that mothers do. We still have a long way to go before we get to where pay gaps between genders are gone. However, it is not impossible!

Comments